Homemade Marshmallows

My father who is a chocoholic suddenly fall in love with marshmallows because one time he bought Purdy's marshmallow covered chocolate and one day, when we were in London Drug store, he wants to buy marshmallows but I told him not to because those kind of marshmallow are usually so chewy and tough unlike the one that Purdy has. So I have an idea to try a homemade marshmallow recipe. It was tough to decide which recipe to follow, Martha Stewart's or Ina Garten's (Barefoot Contessa). At the end I decide to use Ina's recipe.

I have been wanting to try this recipe for a long time but I thought it is so complicated so I always put it off.

It turn out to be so easy! But maybe because I have a powerful mixer to help me ( Heavy duty Kitchenaid ). For the photo, well, I am sorry to say that we ate the marshmallows so fast that I did not have the chance to take a picture of them! We just keep popping them into our mouth or drop them into our Godiva heavenly hot chocolate drink. Or even my coffee as a sweetener! I don't even have the chance to make S'mores! They are gone way too fast!

I really recommend this recipe, it's easy and boy are they good! Once you tried the homemade one, you won't want to buy the commercial one ever again!

Image hosting by Photobucket

HOMEMADE MARSHMALLOWS

3 packages unflavoured gelatin
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Combine the gelatin and 1/2 cup of cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and allow it sit whileyou make the syrup.

Meanwhile, combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves.Raise the heat to high and cook until the syrup reaches 240 degress on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat.

With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the sugar syrup into the dissolved gelatin. Put the mixer on high speed and whip until the mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix thouroughly.

With a sieve, generously dust an 8x 12 inch nonmetal baking dish with confectioners' sugar. Pour the marhsmallow mixture into the pan, smooth the top, and dust with more confectioners' sugar. Allow to stand uncovered overnight until it dries out.

Turn the marshmallows onto a board and cut them in squares. Dust them with more confectioners' sugar.

Comments

Popular Posts