Bacon Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
2 kg tomatoes ( I used varieties to get better flavors )
1 medium size onion, sliced
1 whole garlic, topped sliced and only the outer skin removed
few sprigs of Thyme
Few pieces of bacons, sliced them into small pieces
2 Tbs Balsamic vinegar
1/2 Cup cream
1 Tbs of sugar (adjust if your tomatoes are already very sweet )
Salt to taste
Olive oil as needed
1.5 Cup of Chicken stock or as needed
1. Turn on your oven to 425F or 220C.
2. Heat the soup pot then put bacon in it. Fried the bacon in their own fat. Don't throw away the fat because you will use this oil for roasting the tomatoes. Take the fried bacon out. Put them in a small serving bowl.
3. Slice the bigger tomato into smaller pieces and if you also use cherry tomatoes, keep these smaller tomatoes whole. Arrange the tomatoes, sliced onions, whole garlic and Thyme on a baking tray. Drizzle generously with the bacon fat. If not enough, then you can add some olive oil. Add the Balsamic vinegar also then seasoned everything with black pepper and salt. Don't put too much salt and pepper yet. You can always seasoned your soup later with more salt and pepper. hold the sugar. You only add the sugar at the end. Put the tomatoes, garlic and onion in the oven, roast until they shrink to about 70% of their original size. In my oven it takes about 45 minutes.
3. When they are done, squeeze the roasted garlic in the pan and discard the skin. Then put the tomatoes and garlic in a blender and blend to to your desirable consistency ( smooth vs chunky ). Or you can put all of them in the pot then use an immersion blender stick. It's up to you.
4. Add chicken stock as needed. Some tomatoes has so much water and other type has less. So adjust how much chicken stock you want to add according to your preference.
5. Add the cream, sugar, salt and pepper to your taste.
6. Pour the soup in a bowl then sprinkle some bacon on top. Enjoy the soup with Grilled Smoked Cheese Sandwich with lots of butter. Yum!