Beef Roll ups
- 500g. beef shank.
- 3 stalks green onion, 1 small piece ginger, 20g. dried tangerine peel, 1 spice bag, 2 Tbs black bean paste, 1 Tbs sugar, 1 tsp MSG, 1/2 cup cooking wine, 5 cups water.
- 400g. all purpose flour, 1 cup boiling water, 1/3 cup cold water.
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup sweet bean sauce, 8 stalks green onion.
- Blanch beef in boiling water; drain. Heat wok with 2 Tbs. oil ; stir-fry green onions and ginger until fragrant. Add remaining ingredients of (2) and beef; simmer over low heat until beef is tender. Remove beef; cool.
- Combine flour and boiling water; mix well. Stir in cold water to make a dough. Roll into 12-inch wide and 1/8 inch thick rectangle. Brush with 1/4 cup cooking oil. Roll up; cut into 4 equal sections. Flatten each slice, cut side down, into disk; roll into 10-inch circle. Heat pan with a little oil; pan-fry pancakes until both sides are golden brown. Remove.
- Spread sweet bean paste on pancakes. Arrange sliced beef on top. Add one green onion on each pancake; roll up. Cut into sections.
Fried Beef Stuffed Pie
1 portion hot water blanched dough
400 g ground beef
80g ground fatty pork
1 small piece ginger
2 Tbs soy sauce
1 tsp chicken broth extract
salt as needed
1 Tbs light sesame oil
- Let dough rest for some time and roll into a long strip, then divide into 15 equal portions. Roll each portion into a round thin wrapper.
- Mince scallions. Chop ginger finely to get about 2 Tbs. Chop celery finely.
- Combine beef with fatty pork well, then add soy sauce, chicken broth extract, salt and 1/4 cup of water to mix, stir in the one direction only until elastic. Then add minced scallion, ginger and celery, mix well to make filling.
- Place a suitable amount of filling in center of wrapper, seal the opening well to make buns.
- Heat 3 Tbs of oil in pan, fry buns over low heat with seal facing down until brown. Turnover and drizzle in 2 Tbs of water, then cover and continue to fry until water is absorbed. Uncover and fry until golden brown on both sides and meat on the inside is done. Serve.
Hot Water Blanched Dough
Blanched dough is largely used in fried dishes or steamed desserts. Blanching prevents the skin from hardening and affecting the texture. Desserts made with blanched dough include pot stickers and steamed dumplings. Because pot stickers are fried with water added, some restaurants use ready-made cold water dumpling wrappers to make their pot stickers because it is more convenient. However, you can always tell the difference just by eating.
300g all purpose flour
3/4 cup boiling water ( over 100 degree Celcius )
1/4 cup col water
1 Tbs cooking oil
Place flour in a mixing bowl, pour the boiling water rapidly over the flour. Stir with chopsticks until evenly blended. Add cold water to mix, thn add oil. Knead into a smooth , soft dough. and let rest for about 30 minute before using.
NOTES: The hot water has to be boiling in order to blanch the gluten in the flour until done. The flour will appear translucent when the boiling water is poured in the bowl. If a softer and easier to handle dough is desired, just place the dough in the refrigerator overnight. Additionally for new flour effect, the end product will be softer when you add a little oil to increase its softness.
Pork Pot Stickers
1 portion hot water blanced dough
300g ground pork
200g shelled shrimp
1 small piece of ginger
2 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs chicken broth extract
salt as needed
1 Tbs light soy sesame oil
1 tsp flour
1/2 cup water
- De-veined shrimp and rinse well, then dry completely and chop until well-mashed. Mince scallions. Chop ginger finely to get about 2 Tbs.
- Combine ground pork and shrimp with soy sauce, chicken broth extract, salt and 1/4 cup water well. Stir in the one direction only until filling is elastic, then add minced scallion, ginger and light sesame oil to mix.
- Roll dough into a long strip and divide about 40 equal portions. Press each portion flat first, then roll into round thin wrapper.
- Place filling in center of wrapper and wrap up into a dumplings in a round circle. Fry until bottom is slightly brown, drizzle in the flour and water mixture. Cover and fry until water is dry uncover and continue to fry until brown and burnt on the bottom. Serve.
Most of the time people eat this pot stickers with a dipping sauce . To make the dipping sauce you can mix : 1/2 cup of soy sauce, 1 tsp minced garlic, 1 tsp minced scallions, 1 tbs thinly shredded ginger, 1 Tbs black vinegar, 2 Tbs sugar, 2 Tbs hot water, 1 tsp sesame oil, and off course you can always add chilies. You can use raw chopped chilies, "sambal oelek", or any other Asian style chilies sauce.