Los Angeles Farmer's Market





First of all don't get confuse because I am writing about Los Angeles Farmer's Market. I am still in Taipei right now and in fact tomorrow night I am leaving Taipei to Indonesia...finally...

I wrote this because there are never enough time for me to sneak this story in while I am in Taipei all this time, so now I am going to write it.

Many years ago my aunt brought me to this place and I have never been back here since then. So when Richard asked if I have any idea on where to go on our last day in LA, I suggest us to go here because Richard never been here before.

I remember this place as being big but since I have lived in Vancouver and went to Granville Island Public Market many times, I just realize that this place is actually small !

We arrived in that place in a very hungry state so we ended up eating at the first restaurant we saw, a BBQ place. Each of us ordered different things, but after I taste everything, I found that the baby back ribs is still the best.

Then I saw there is a ice cream parlor that boasted that they have won many blue ribbons in competition, so I stop there to try it. Not bad ... but is not that great I think.



Then we walk around that place. Sure we saw some other restaurants. I think the only one that attract my eyes is a store full with French cheese and wine. They have outdoor tables where you can ordered some wine and cheeses to nibble. I should have stop here instead of the BBQ place. Then another thing I found fascinating is the nut store. It sells so many different type of nuts, either raw or they already processed it.



Beside nuts in all their glory forms, they also sell any kind of candied fruits that looks so beautiful in their glistening sugary coat. You can't buy this kind of quality from your local grocery store. I can just imagine to use these candied fruits for my panettone, my tutti frutti ice cream or maybe my fruit cake ...hmm....


Pic: assortment of popcorns


Pic: Candied fruits


Pic: Dried fruit, not the same with candied fruits


Pic: That's my aunt checking out some nuts


Pic: assortment of jam, chutney, etc


Pic: fresh fruits, compare to Granville Island public market, this is nothing.


Pic: Mr. Ground Pork


Pic: Indonesian/Malaysian/Singaporean restaurant


Pic: Richard in front of hot sauce store

Just for fun I am going to post a Panettone recipe in here ... it's been a long time right that I did not post any recipe....



Almost every region in Italy has its own Christmas cake, but this Milanese specialty is by far the the most famous and most difficult to make. Panettone is available both in a high, dome-shaped or flat version. Natural yeast (that is, leavened dough) is essential to making a real panettone, because if the cake is made directly from brewer's yeast, its flavor is less delicate. Besides, the process of letting the dough rise must be carried out according to very specific instructions so that the result has a soft and airy texture. In any case, rising time depends on many factors: room temperature, the season, the length of the mixing process, etc. The timing given in the recipe can therefore only be approximate.

1 oz. baker's yeast
3 oz. flour
2 cups flour
7 tbs. sugar
1 whole egg
5 egg yolks
salt
1/2 cup melted butter
6 tbs. raisins, soaked and squeezed
2 oz. candied orange and lemon peel, diced
1 1/2 tbs. butter


See Also:

Wine Pairings
Acqui or Brachetto d'Acqui DOCG
Asti DOCG
Moscadello di Montalcino DOC

Region
Lombardy


Mix the yeast with the flour and as much water as necessary for the dough to be elastic. Wrap in a towel and put into a warm draft-free place (an unlit oven, for example) until doubled in size (it should take approx. 30 mins) and the surface is uneven. Make a small fontana with 4 tbs. flour. Crumble the dough cake on top of it, add 1/2 cup warm water and knead until the dough is elastic. Let rise in a warm place for 3 hours.

Punch down the dough, and then, knead in another 4 tbs. flour, with as much warm water as necessary. Place the dough in a warm place to rise for 2 hours. Combine the sugar, the whole egg and the yolks. Mix well and cook in a double boiler for a few minutes, beating the mixture with a whisk so that it becomes light and airy. Let cool.

Make another fontana with the remaining flour. Put in a pinch of salt, the risen dough, the butter and the egg mixture into the middle. Knead energetically for 20 mins. When the dough is smooth and elastic, add the raisins and candied peel. Grease and flour a sheet of waxed paper and place the dough in the center. Make a ring around it with a rectangular piece of cardboard and let rise in a warm place for at least 6 hours or until the dough has doubled in size.

Cut a cross on top of the cake with a sharp knife and put 1 tbs. butter in the middle. Cook the panettone in a pre-heated 400ºF oven for 40-45 mins. The cake is ready when a skewer inserted in the center comes out dry.



Comments

Popular Posts