Homemade Marshmallows



Marshmallows has never been one of my favorite candies. But when I saw the pictures of homemade marshmallows in my cooking book, I was so tempted to make it on my own but never really did it yet. Well, until I read in several different blogs that homemade marshmallows taste much more superior than the store bought one. Those blogs say that homemade marshmallow is softer and more moist than the commercial ones. I do think the commercial marshmallow taste like eating plastic to me. Until one day, my father bought a chocolate covered marshmallow from Purdy, a chocolate store in here and he really loves it. He said the marshmallow is so soft and gooey so I just got to taste it too and I have to agree with him that it taste so good. Not at all like plastic.

So I search on my recipe book, I found several recipe. They all pretty similar in the composition so first I tried Ina Garten's recipe, then I tried other recipe. I think they taste pretty close. Ina Garten's recipe and Martha Stewart's are probably the easiest to follow.

Homemade Marshmallows

Makes 24


Vegetable oil, for brushing

4 envelopes unflavored gelatin (3 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons)

3 cups granulated sugar

1 1/4 cups light corn syrup

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar


1. Brush a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with oil. Line with parchment, allowing a 2-inch overhang on the long sides. Brush parchment with oil; set aside.

2. Put granulated sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 3/4 cup water into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Cook, without stirring, until mixture registers 238° on a candy thermometer, about 9 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, put 3/4 cup cold water into the bowl of an electric mixer; sprinkle with gelatin. Let soften 5 minutes.



4. Attach bowl with gelatin to mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. With mixer on low speed, beat hot syrup into gelatin mixture. Gradually raise speed to high; beat until mixture is very stiff, about 12 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Pour into prepared dish, and smooth with an offset spatula. Set aside, uncovered, until firm, about 3 hours.







Pic: Don't forget to give the whisk to your children to lick!!!

5. Sift 1 cup confectioners' sugar onto a work surface. Unmold marshmallow onto confectioners' sugar; remove parchment. Lightly brush a sharp knife with oil, then cut marshmallow into 2-inch squares. Sift remaining 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar into a small bowl, and roll each marshmallow in the sugar to coat. Marshmallows can be stored in an airtight container up to 3 days.

NOTE: I add 2 drops of coloring gel ( pink ) and I add 1 tsp of strawberry extract in mine that's why they are pink when they suppose to be white.

Tasting the marshmallow is really a treat. All those foodie that say that homemade marshmallow is better are all correct. They taste like eating a sweet cloud! Not too sweet, moist, and so soft!!! And they are so easy to make !!!

I brought these marshmallow for a picnic party with my son's classmates for his b'day party and they all love them. Not only the children but even the parents are all falling in love with them. I get so many request for the recipe.


Pic: Snowflake Marshmallow

Now...Eatingg them just on their own is delicious but that's not it. I use these babies on many thing. When I made hot chocolate, I just float one marshmallow on the chocolate and stir until they melt, hmmm...hm...hmm... I even eat it with my coffee!

Then I made microwave S'more since even my fire place is the closed type. Just buy Graham crackers and thin bittersweet chocolate bar and start assembling them like this:



I zapped the s'more for 30 seconds in my microwave. And then they will look like this :


These is my son's face when he enjoy hisgooeyy s'mores





Beside making S'mores with homemade marshmallows, you can make other treat as well like this one in Martha Stewart's website.



Confetti Squares


Makes 9
A twist on an old favorite, this recipe combines two kinds of sweet cereals with Rice Krispies. These squares are perfect as after-school snacks.


9 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 teaspoon salt

12 cups (2 1/2 bags) miniature marshmallows

6 cups Rice Krispies cereal

6 cups Cap'n Crunch cereal

6 cups Froot Loops cereal

Vegetable-oil cooking spray

1. Lightly spray a 9-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan with vegetable-oil cooking spray; set aside. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add salt and marshmallows; stir with a wooden spoon until melted. Remove from heat. Add Rice Krispies, Cap'n Crunch, and Froot Loops, and stir until combined.

2. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. To prevent sticking, coat your hands with vegetable spray, and press the mixture evenly into the pan. Let cool, about 30 minutes.

3. Cut into 3-by-3-inch bars. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Other ideas on how to use marshmallows are as follows:

Marshmallow Sauce
Marshmallow for piping
Jane's Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallow Topping

Comments

Yohana Wu said…
I just hope I won't ruin his teeth in ... :(. Actually we insist on him to brush his teeth right away after he eat anything sweet.

Popular Posts