Steamed Shrimp with Soy Sauce Dipping Sauce

Few days ago we went down to Steveston Fishermen Village, about 10 minutes drive from where we live. We love this place because it feels like a small town but actually it's very near to a busy Richmond area.



I posted about this place before, so you can see some picture of this place here.

One reason why I post this blog is for Helen who wrote me a commend on my other blog ( you know who you are! ). She asked about where can she buy fresh seafood in Vancouver. Well.. the answers is almost everywhere, but if you happen to head down south to Steveston area you have got to see this place. On normal day, I think you can only buy fresh shrimp, but on Saturday you will be able to buy all sort of fish right off the fishermen's boats and pay a really great price for them. To prove it, I made this dish just for you to see what kind of fresh shrimps they sell there.

Since I went there not on Saturday, I found 2 shrimps sellers only. One of them has 2 different type of shrimps, one has lines the other has spots on their bodies. According to the seller the spotty one are better and they are the one that usually being served in the restaurant. I think she is right, the spotty one does taste better but not by much. The meat is more elastic when you bite. But at that time I did not know yet so I bought both shrimps. One pound of the spotty shrimps cost about $ 8, while the other shrimps cost $ 5.50 for a pound. I bought one pound of each.

NOTE: If you drive from the States to Vancouver, you will pass Steveston exit first, I think it's exit # 32. Take that exit and turn left to the west until you hit no. 1 road and turn left until you see this village.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Steamed Shrimp With Soy Sauce Dipping Sauce

2 lb of fresh shrimps ( not frozen ), trimmed the antennae and if the head has a sharp point, cut that off too if not, someone's finger will get hurt for sure.

1 Tbs finely sliced ginger ( cut it like strings as fine as possible )
1 Tbs finely sliced green onion ( again, cut it into fine strings )
2 Tbs Light Soy Sauce
2 Tbs hot water
1/2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp sesame oil or you can use peanut oil
1/4 tsp MSG ( optional )

Mix all of the ingredients and let it sit for at least 15 minutes or more while you steam the shrimps.

Prepare your wok for steaming the shrimps. Steam the shrimps just until they turn color to pink. Don't over steamed them because then their meat will taste like plastic. You want them to be juicy and elastic. Has a nice bounce to it when you bite.

NOTE: The good thing about this sauce is, because itis quite mild, it actually helps to bring out the sweetness of the fresh shrimps. When I can get my hand on live shrimps, I don't like to mess around too much with the sauce because I don't want to kill the sweetness of the shrimps. But when I bought "previously frozen" shrimps, I cook them with heavier sauce, deep-fried with chilies perhaps to make that crispy salt and pepper shrimps or other recipes.

Comments

Popular Posts